Hello friends! I’ve been doing some great reading and learning about anxiety, but before we dive further into what anxiety is, and what causes it, I think it’s important that we learn what God has to say about it, and I think it’s a good idea to have some verses on hand when anxiety attacks.
First, it’s important to know that God takes our anxieties seriously… so seriously that he addresses anxiety head on in Matthew 6 starting on verse 25. I encourage you to read Matthew 6:25-34. The Bible talks about anxiety as a lack of faith that God will provide. It’s not condemning those that have anxiety, but lovingly reminding us how important we are to God… God provides for the birds, “…are you not of more value than they?” (v 26). He knows what we need, what will make us thrive and he will provide it. Anxiety happens when we believe we are in danger, will we have our rent money? What if I get sick? What if I don’t recover? An anxious brain can always bring about a worse case scenario than what you are facing. It’s our painful attempts at predicting our own future to hold only pain and heartbreak. But God wants you to lay your anxieties down, give them to Him because he knows what you need, what you want and what will make you thrive; Have faith!
But in the moments you are anxious, when your faith needs strengthened and you can’t find the words you need, rely on His words…
Here are 10 verses that can help calm your anxiety!
1. “ For God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control.” 2 Timothy 1:7 (ESV)
2. “God is within her, she will not fall; God will help her at break of day.” Psalms 46:5 (NIV)
3. “ I will be your God throughout your lifetime– until your hair is white with age. I made you, and I will care for you. I will carry you along and save you.” Isaiah 46:4 (NLT)
4. “Fear not for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.” Isaiah 41:10(ESV)
5. “The Lord himself watches over you! The Lord stands beside you as your protective shade. The sun will not harm you by day, nor the moon at night.” Psalms 121:5 &6 (NLT)
6. “But those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.” Isaiah 40:31 (NIV)
7. “Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.” Joshua 1:9 (NIV)
8. “Don’t worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank Him for all he has done. Then you will experience God’s peace, which exceeds anything we can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus.” Philippians 4:6&7 (NLT)
9. “So humble yourselves under the mighty power of God and at the right time he will lift you up in honor. Give all your worries and care to God, for he cares about you.” 1 Peter 5:6-7(NLT)
10. “Come to me, all you who are weary and heavy burdened and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls .For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.” Matthew 11:28-30 (NIV)
I hope a couple of these verses really gave you a sense of peace. Write them down, keep them close and when you feel as though your anxiety is messing with your day just pray these promises and let the words resonate with your spirit! And then HAVE FAITH! I can’t wait to share with you what I have learned about anxiety so far, and I will share with you another day! But throughout our time learning and conquering anxiety, remember GOD is where your true victory lies and all that he promises will come true!